Frequently Asked Questions
The Issue Even with the passage of time, many women still retain their youthful energy and enthusiasm, but post-menopausal changes can affect a woman’s quality of life in unexpected ways. Now, there is a gentle laser therapy that can help millions of women who are silently suffering.
What is the MonaLisa Touch? The MonaLisa Touch is a gentle laser therapy that delivers controlled energy to the vaginal wall tissue. It restores vaginal health by generating new collagen, elastin and vascularization. The MonaLisa Touch was first available outside the US where thousands of patients have been treated worldwide.
How does it work? The MonaLisa Touch uses gentle laser energy that is delivered via a side-firing probe inserted into the vaginal canal. A two-part pulse targets surface (epithelial) tissue and deep (lamina propria) tissue to promote vaginal mucosal revitalization.
What clinical trials have been conducted on the MonaLisa Touch? A multisite study was conducted by Dr. Mickey Karram, Director of Fellowship Program on Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery at The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH and Dr. Eric Sokol, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Stanford University Medical Center. The trial assessed the use of CO2 fractional laser therapy on 30 women with vaginal health issues due to natural or induced menopause. All of the patients in the trial were treated with the MonaLisa Touch laser therapy. Results were:
- Overwhelmingly positive and immediate results
- Highly statistically significant improvement in symptoms after first treatment
- Escalation of progress with each subsequent treatment
*Women in the study either experienced natural menopause or induced menopause as the result of hysterectomy or drug-induced suppression of ovarian function (chemotherapy, radiations, and anticancer drugs such as Tamoxifen).
A study was done by Dr. Stefano Salvatore*, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vita- Salute San Raffaele University to assess the feasibility of fractional C02 laser in the treatment of 50 women suffering changes in their gynecologic health. 42 patients (84%) showed significant improvement in their physical and mental quality of life scores over baseline and were satisfied with the treatment
- Where can I have this done? The MonaLisa Touch is an in-office procedure performed by our gynecologists.
- Does the procedure hurt? The procedure requires no anesthesia. Some patients may experience some discomfort the first time the probe is inserted, but the actual treatment is not painful. Many patients report that it feels like a gentle vibration.
- How long does it take? Patients receive three treatments, spaced six weeks apart, which each take about 10 minutes to perform.
- When will I see results? Most patients feel improvement after the very first treatment, although the procedure calls for three treatments that are generally spaced over an18-week period.
- How long does it last? Patients should expect to come back annually for a maintenance treatment. *Your doctor will determine with you if follow up treatments are required.
- What are my limitations after the procedure is done? Patients should refrain from sexual activity for 2-3 days. Your doctor will determine a post-procedure regimen that is right for you.
- For which patients is this treatment appropriate? The MonaLisa Touch is appropriate for any female suffering from issues from a decline in estrogen such as; dryness and pain with intercourse. As well as those who are experiencing symptoms as a result of a hysterectomy, breast cancer treatments, urinary urgency, or mild stress incontinence. Women who suffer from lichen sclerosis, a skin condition, can also benefit from treatment.
- How much will the procedure cost? Patients should contact the clinic directly for cost information
- Is this procedure safe for women with breast cancer? Yes, the MonaLisa Touch therapy is particularly well suited for patients who cannot, or prefer not to receive estrogen therapy.
Online registration is available on our website at www.fcwc.com. Payment is required at the time of registration for all classes. There are some scholarships available. The Prenatal Yoga classes can be taken anytime throughout pregnancy and the birth and parenting preparation classes are usually taken during your second trimester. Contact Kristin Glenn at 493-7442 ext. 7966 or by email at email@example.com for all your class content questions. We do not bill insurance for childbirth classes. Space is limited, so please register for classes as early as possible.
Most Fort Collins classes meet at our Fort Collins clinic on the 3rd floor classroom- USE Elevators as stairwell door will be locked. Also look at the registration because some classes meet on the first floor of the clinic building. The clinic is located at 1107 South Lemay Avenue. Parking is available on the Southwest side of the building and can be accessed from Lemay onto Garfield Street (under the bridge). Our Loveland classes are held in the Women’s Clinic clinic lobby space at 2500 Rocky Mountain Way. (adjacent to the MCR hospital)
For any of our classes you can bring 1 or 2 pillows to make yourself more comfortable and for some of the childbirth preparation classes you may be sitting on the floor for exercises. We understand that it is important for all expectant mothers to get the nutrition and hydration they need, so please feel free to bring snacks or drinks with you.
- Our Education Package includes any 3 classes and is discounted by $15. To receive the discount, all 3 classes must be registered at the same time, within a single purchase.What childbirth theories are covered in the prenatal classes?The general prenatal classes integrate techniques from a variety of theories including Lamaze, Bradley, Simkin and Grantley Dick-Reed, Gate-Control theories. The Hypnobabies classes and Birthing From Within classes are exclusively designed to follow those copyrighted programs.
Yes it is an alternative, complete childbirth class for patients who want to learn self-hypnosis techniques.
No it does not at this time. In some situations financial assistance is available and some companies will reimburse for lifestyle education classes. Please call Kristin Glenn at extension 7966 for information.
Of course. This class is included in many of the childbirth education classes. The specific dates and times for the separate classes are listed in the breastfeeding section. We also offer a weekly, free breastfeeding support group for all moms during postpartum.
Yes if possible! Most women find if very helpful to have a support person attend the classes with them. However this is not a requirement.
Many segments of the childbirth classes will remain very relevant such as the hospital tour, postpartum, baby care and breastfeeding. Please call Kristin Glenn (Ext. 7966) for specific information.
If class registrations are below 4 registrants classes may be cancelled. This clinic decision will be made at least 4 days prior to class start date and attendees will be given options of other classes and/or a class refund. Cancellation by attendees must be done within 48 hours of class.
If you would like a refund for your classes please contact Kristin Glenn at 493-7442 ext. 7966 and a request will be sent to the billing department. If you have an outstanding balance with the Women’s Clinic, your refund will be applied to that balance; If you do not, then you will be issued a check for your full or partial refund. This usually takes around 14 business days.
If a class you are interested is full, please contact Kristin Glenn at (970) 493-7442 ext. 7966 to be placed on a waitlist for that class.
You do not need to register them separately, they are included in your registration.
We do charge a $25.00 fee for patients who are scheduled for procedures and fail to cancel their appointment 1 business day prior as extensive preparation of sterile equipment is taken to perform a procedure must then be redone.
Women’s Clinic handles the notification requirements, but we encourage you to call your insurance before you have surgery.
A working knowledge of how your insurance works is important. Women’s Clinic can give estimates of the surgeon’s charge, help you get estimates from the hospital or surgery center, and then with your working knowledge of your specific plan, we can estimate how much you will owe.
Pap Smear/Pelvic Exam – 1 time every 2 years
Bone Density Scan – 1 time every 2 years
Mammogram – 1 time every year
Breast Exam – 1 time every 2 years
FIT Rectal Screen – 1 time every year
NOTE: exceptions may apply for certain recipients that have history of certain cancers
Sometimes payments from Fridays have not gone through our posting system when statements are printed the following Monday.
You may wish to call your insurance company directly to verify coverage. Our tax i.d. number to verify whether they consider us in network is 840596245. If one of our providers are listed they will all be in network.
We are not currently accepting new Medicaid/CHP+/CICP patients. Should your current medical care provider feel your medical needs require a specialist attention he/she will contact our office directly.
Yes, we do. However, Medicare and Medicare replacements may apply co-pays or coinsurance or Part B deductibles prior to paying for your service these amounts are yours to pay.
You should verify your benefits with your insurance directly. Please, call the number listed on the back of your card.
Some services have what is called first dollar coverage which means that the insurance company will pay the first dollar and not apply any deductible or copay to your service- this is typical with wellness.
Services that do not have first dollar coverage typically have a copay or deductible and co-insurance that are the part you agreed to be responsible for when you signed up for your insurance. If you feel like you should not have a balance you should call your insurance company immediately and then contact us or any provider with the information you received.
Some services are not a benefit of your insurance plan, therefore, they are not paid and remain your responsibility.
The Women’s Clinic of Northern Colorado currently participates* with:
- Anthem/Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Beech Street/Health Infonet
- CIGNA/GreatWest Healthcare
- Colorado Choice Health Plan/Peak Health
- Coventry/First Health
- First Choice of Midwest
- Humana/Choice Care
- Rocky Mountain Health Plan
- United Medical Alliance/PVHS/PR1/Columbine
- United Healthcare/Pacificare/Secure Horizons
- WinHealth Partners
*Participation is a matter of contractual arrangement with the payer or network. These do change from time to time. Please check both with your insurance company and our office to ensure we are in network and you have benefits at the time you are receiving services.
Your plan may offer a limited network design that has many restrictions. Please make sure you understand your benefits and your limitations.
To verify your insurance information is current and correct. We want to make sure that your claim is properly submitted.
We protect your privacy by verifying you are the person that matches the chart since we will be discussing the information in that chart. Sometimes the changes are subtle on an insurance card and we need to have the most current information available. Data entry mistakes can happen. Errors in information may cause claims to not process or delay the process causing you undue stress. We verify information in an effort to minimize the stress caused by accidental errors.
This is just one of the ways the Women’s Clinic follows federal and state laws protecting against identity theft and fraud.